Eco-friendly is defined as “not environmentally harmful.” When we think of eco-friendly products, we think about products which have been specifically designed and formulated to have a minimal impact on the environment or even to help the environment when possible. Unfortunately, the process of doing laundry is inherently damaging to our planet. Guilt trip aside, this leaves the environmentally conscious in a tough spot. How are we supposed to clean our clothes without damaging the environment?
While there are a number of potential answers, the most practical answer comes down to selecting an alternative laundry detergent that is effective, affordable, and environmentally friendly. Here’s how!
How Does Laundry Detergent Impact the Environment?
As we will discuss in greater detail below, laundry detergent impacts the environment in three key ways:
- Laundry byproducts run off into our natural water supplies.
- Laundry packaging is often wasteful and non-biodegradable.
- Production of laundry detergents has a significant carbon footprint.
Chemicals in laundry detergent are perhaps the most avoidable environmental problem. Many mainstream laundry detergents contain sulfates, phosphates, formaldehyde, chlorine bleach, dioxane, ammonium sulfate, nonylphenol ethoxylates, and synthetic dyes and fragrances. A huge amount of these chemicals end up in our rivers, lakes, and oceans.
It can feel more hopeless to find an alternative laundry detergent which contains a smaller carbon footprint and less damaging packaging. It is more difficult, but it is possible through the advent of laundry sheets.
Eco-Friendly Laundry Detergent Ingredients
Now that we know some common chemicals in laundry detergent to avoid, what are some eco-friendly ingredients found in natural laundry detergent?
- Natural carrier oils: essential oils get all the headlines, but carrier oils such as coconut oil are plant-based oils that dilute and “carry” essential oils in products like detergents, soaps, shampoos, and more. Natural oils are all natural, biodegradable and eco-friendly.
- Natural essential oils: essential oil fragrances such as osmanthus are great choices to bring a natural fragrance to your laundry detergent without harming your skin or the environment!
- Naturally-derived surfactants: surfactants in many HE laundry detergents and standard laundry detergents are comprised of synthetic chemicals. Eco-friendly alternatives such as plant-derived polyvinyl alcohol are just as effective without the negative repercussions on the environment.
Green Laundry Detergent Packaging
You might be thinking that there is no practical way to avoid purchasing a large plastic jug when you shop for laundry detergent. Admittedly, this is a tougher ask than simply shopping for eco-friendly ingredients. However, there is some good news on this front. For starters, even mainstream liquid laundry detergents and non-liquid laundry detergents are now frequently packaged in recyclable and/or or post-consumer recycled materials. Yet this only does so much when the recovery rate for recycling is around 35 percent.
A positive first step towards green laundry detergent packaging is skipping the liquid formulas. The irony here is that the vast majority of so-called eco-friendly laundry detergents are liquid based. These formulas waste water, packaging materials, and resources required for storage and transport of larger, heavier products. Even the small switch from plastic containers of liquid detergents to cardboard containers of non-liquid detergent will make a significant difference.
Yet as we will see below, there is another better option for eco-friendly laundry detergent that is effective, affordable, and environmentally conscious.
Laundry Sheets are Great for the Environment!
Laundry sheets from Sheets Laundry Club were specifically formulated with the environment in mind. Here’s how!
- Sheets Laundry Club laundry sheets contain zero harmful synthetic chemicals. First and foremost, our eco-friendly laundry sheets don’t just cut back on the nasty ingredients we mentioned above, they eliminate them entirely. The full ingredient list is as follows: water (extracted during manufacturing), coconut oils, polyvinyl alcohol, osmanthus. That’s it!
- Laundry sheets are manufactured efficiently. Sheets Club is currently in the process of obtaining an official Eco Certification Status to demonstrate the commitments to eco-friendly practices from manufacturing to shipping.
- Laundry sheets save resources. Liquid laundry detergents, single-use laundry pods, and even powder detergents are heavy and waste resources during manufacturing and transportation. Laundry sheets are 10x lighter than liquid detergents and take up 6x less shelf space.
- Sheets Laundry Club laundry sheets are packaged responsibly. Last but not least, our laundry sheets are packaged in recyclable, repurposed cardboard materials that are natural and biodegradable. There are never any plastic materials used in the manufacturing or packaging of our laundry sheets, dryer sheets, or scent boosters.
Sheets Laundry Club Laundry Sheets are Eco-Friendly
Alternative laundry detergents often claim to be green, but still often waste materials, contain synthetic chemicals, and cost way too much! Sheets Laundry Club is dedicated to providing a green alternative to traditional laundry detergents that is free of synthetic chemicals, toxins, and irritants, and fits most budgets. Our laundry club members are protected by our 100% satisfaction guarantee. Not happy with our products (we think you will be) just let us know and we will offer a full refund!